top of page

Legal Name Change

Change your Name on your Marriage License.

Your State allows people to change their names on their marriage license application form. While the forms differ by locality, you can generally just fill in your new name and list your former name on the form. A county clerk will issue a license after the normal Florida marriage license process is completed. You'll need the original (or certified) marriage license with the raised seal to make changes with other agencies. 


Change your Social Security card.

Visit the Social Security Administration's website and fill out the application for a new Social Security card. You'll keep the same number—just your name will be different. Mail in your application to the local Social Security Administration office, or just go through the process while you're there. You should get your new card within 10 business days.


Change Name on Passport.

Once you've finished the SSA process it is recommended to get a passport with your new last name -even if you don't foresee yourself traveling abroad anytime soon. That's because you can then use the passport to update your driver's license. Having two documents with your married title on them makes the DHSMV process much easier.


Change your license at the DMV.

Take a trip to the local Department of Motor Vehicles office to get a new license with your new last name. Bring every form of identification that your local DMV instructs you to—including your current license, your certified marriage certificate, and most importantly, your new Social Security card.


Change your bank accounts.

This one's a biggie, especially if you're setting up a joint bank account, or if you have one already set up. The fastest way to change your name at your bank is to go into a branch location, bringing your new driver's license and your marriage certificate. You should request new checks and debit and credit cards on top of changing the name attached to your accounts. Something to note: You might get hit with fees for requesting a new debit card.


Fill in the blanks...

Once you have a Social Security card and driver's license in your married name, other changes should be fairly easy. Some places only require a phone call; others may ask for a copy of your marriage certificate or social security card. Be sure to notify:


  • Employers/payroll

  • Post office (if your address has changed too)

  • Electric and other utility companies

  • Credit card companies

  • Schools and alumni associations

  • Landlord or mortgage company

  • Insurance companies (auto, home, life)

  • Doctors' offices

  • Voter registration office

  • Investment account providers

  • Your attorney (to update legal documents, including your will)

  • Airlines (to transfer over your miles)


bottom of page